Bitten by Bed Bugs? You Have Legal Rights.
The law firm of Whitney, LLP specializes in representing clients who are bitten by bed bugs in hotels and apartments.
Many victims of bed bugs do not realize they have many legal rights and may be able to recover significant compensation. The attorneys at Whitney, LLP have applied the law to recover over $14,000,000 for our clients’ injuries and emotional distress in bed bug cases.
Whether you are a hotel guest or an apartment tenant, the property manager has a duty to provide a dwelling that is free of infestation, including free of bed bug infestation. When an apartment resident or hotel guest is bitten by bed bugs, the cause is often the negligence of the property manager. Failing to take infestations seriously, and failing to hire professional pest control contractors to properly treat infestations, often leads to bed bug infestations spreading and becoming entrenched in hotel rooms and apartment units.
Unsuspecting guests and residents are then bitten, suffering bodily injury, emotional distress and economic damages.
What Is Your Case Worth?
We offer Free Consultations and our Clients in bed bug cases pay no out of pocket fees or expenses.
- Click here to read about some of Whitney, LLP’s prior bed bug settlements and verdicts;
- Click here to read more of Whitney, LLP’s blogs about bed bug legal issues.
Here is our YouTube Channel for our videos on bed bug settlements and legal rights.
Recovering Compensation for Bed Bug Bites
Being bitten by bed bugs can be a traumatic experience. As many victims have found, it is not just about the bites and property damage. In addition to being covered in itchy red bites, emotional distress and anxiety can be severe.
Whitney, LLP has recovered compensation for the following injuries in bed bug cases:
- Bodily injury, pain and suffering;
- red bites
- intense itching
- skin color disfigurement
- Emotional distress;
- constant fear of bed bugs
- Discarded property
- Economic loss
- medical bills
- missed work
- ruined vacations and trips.
Claims for Bed Bugs in Hotels
Whitney, LLP successfully represents clients injured by bed bugs in hotels and vacation rentals across Maryland.
Bed bugs have been found in 5-star luxury hotels and 1-star roadside motels. No matter the price of the room, the standard of care remains the same: Hotels in Maryland are obligated to provide clean and sanitary rooms, free from infestation. By renting an infested room, the hotel has breached its duty. Guests are entitled to recover damages for their injuries caused by hotel negligence.
Whitney, LLP’s video on Bed Bug Claims against Hotels:
5 Steps to take after being bitten at a hotel:
- Take pictures and video of the bed bugs, bites and blood on the sheets. Proof of both the bugs and their bites will help to maximize your compensation from bed bugs. If you can catch a bed bug or multiple bugs, and put them in a bag, or video them. Oftentimes during the claims process, a hotel will claim that there were no bed bugs in a guest room.
- Report the bed bug infestation to the hotel’s front desk and ask to speak with the manager. Writing an email to the manager or assistant manager is a good way of documenting what hotel employees you spoke with, what was said, and your experience.
- Request the creation of an incident report. Although every hotel should create an incident report to document guest reports of bed bugs, not all of them do. Ask that an incident report be made.
- Seek medical treatment if necessary. Prescription medications, including cortisone and steroids, are often helpful to lessen the itching and swelling of bed bug bites.
- Contact Whitney, LLP for your Free Consultation. Call us or use our Quick Contact form.
Claims Involving Bed Bug in Apartments
Moving into a new apartment and paying rent for a peaceful and safe apartment should feel rewarding and pleasant. However, being moved into a bed bug-infested apartment destroys the peaceful feeling and can cause tremendous harm to tenants who are forced to deal with infestations.
Tenants Can Recover Compensation for Bed Bugs When:
1. Moved into an infested apartment;
2. Complaints about bed bugs to were ignored; or
3. Repeated ineffective treatments do not stop the infestation and bites.
Whitney, LLP’s video on Bed Bug Claims against Apartments:
Tenants who are forced to suffer from bed bugs have legal rights and can fight back against their landlord.
The attorneys at Whitney, LLP have experience holding landlords responsible for bed bug infestations.
Whitney, LLP – Free Consultations for Bed Bug Claims
Contact us today to discuss your potential case. You have more legal rights than you may realize.
What Is Your Case Worth? We offer Free Consultations and our Clients in bed bug cases pay no out of pocket fees or expenses.