BED BUG ATTORNEY SERVICING KNOXVILLE, TN
Knoxville is the third-largest city within Tennessee and holds the county seat for Knox County. Knoxville has a rough history of ups and downs due to the location of the city and economic booms. Since 1982 though, Knoxville has been on the rise due to city leaders and private developers sparking interest in growth and expansion ideas. The city now sits at roughly 900,000 people and has become a hot bed for bed bugs to populate and infest homes. Bed bugs are invasive pests that can infest and destroy expensive personal property. They can also cause serious injuries and health problems, including bacterial infections, allergic reactions, anxiety, and depression. If your apartment, hotel room, motel room, or Airbnb had bed bugs, you may be entitled to financial compensation.
With over $11 million recovered for our bed bug clients, the Knoxville bed bug lawyers of Whitney, LLP are here to help you through this process. Contact us online to set up a free consultation, or call (410) 583-8000 to speak with a bed bug attorney in Knoxville today. Here is what our clients have to say about us.
IDENTIFYING BED BUGS
Bed bugs are tiny insects that, much like their name suggests, hide within your sleeping areas and cause injury to unsuspecting victims. Due to the nature of them only feeding on blood, they chase after any living thing that is warm-blooded. This means they will not only go after you but also any pets within your home.
In physical appearance, bed bugs are very small, generally no more than roughly one-quarter of an inch. Their oval-shaped bodies are brown, ridged, and semi-transparent, with six legs, no wings, and elongated mouthparts for piercing. While feeding, bed bugs can swell to become much larger than their original size, elongating and becoming cylindrical.
SIGNS OF A BED BUG INFESTATION IN KNOXVILLE
There are several ways to check for bed bugs in your apartment or hotel room. The most obvious indicators are visible bed bugs crawling on your bedding, walls, furniture, or other surfaces. However, bed bugs tend to hide from predators, only emerging at night to feed. Even if you do not see any bed bugs, they may be present in the room. Warning signs that bed bugs are present in a hotel or apartment include:
- Unpleasant odors, which may be caused by bed bug alarm pheromones (distress signals), often described as “musty” or “sweet,” or compared to scents like almond and coriander
- Dark, jagged-edged stains on your mattress or bedding, which may be caused by crushed bed bugs or their excrement
- Molted skins and/or egg cases in your bedding
ARE BED BUGS DANGEROUS?
Bed bugs are not just an inconvenience or hassle – they can also pose a real risk to your physical and mental health, with the danger increasing the longer the infestation persists. Health problems linked to bed bug infestations include:
- Allergic Reactions – When a bed bug feeds, a minuscule amount of its saliva is injected into the host. This saliva contains proteins called “antigens.” Some people are extremely sensitive to these proteins and suffer an allergic response when bitten. This response, called “anaphylaxis,” is potentially life-threatening. It is marked by symptoms that include facial swelling, nausea, weakness, respiratory problems, and shock.
- Bacterial Infections – Scratching or picking at itchy bed bug bites can open small wounds in the skin. Bacteria can enter the body through these wounds, leading to secondary skin infections. Infections linked to bed bugs include ecthyma, impetigo, and cellulitis.
- Mood and Sleep Disorders – Mood disorders, such as anxiety and depression, are common in victims who have been living with bed bug infestations for prolonged periods. Since bed bugs feed at night, many victims also develop problems sleeping on a regular schedule, leading to insomnia and associated health issues.
CAN YOU SUE YOUR LANDLORD OR HOTEL FOR BED BUGS IN KNOXVILLE, TN?
The answer to this question depends on several factors, such as:
- Whether you suffered physical, emotional or financial injuries;
- When your injuries occurred; and
- How long the infestation was present for.
Like other personal injury claims, bed bug claims depend on establishing negligence. This means you must prove that a landlord, a hotel manager, a pest control company, and/or other parties somehow failed to meet acceptable standards, thus causing an infestation and the resulting injuries.
Hotels are also held to high standards when it comes to providing safe and habitable conditions. All Knoxville hotels should disclose a history of bed bug infestation in a room to a potential guest, and must take timely, adequate measures to prevent or eradicate infestations.
KNOXVILLE, TN BED BUG INJURY CLAIM ATTORNEYS
If your apartment, hotel, or Airbnb in Knoxville was infested by bed bugs, you should discuss your family’s legal options with an experienced bed bug claim lawyer, like those of Whitney, LLP. Depending on what caused the infestation and when it occurred, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, property damage, and costs associated with pest treatment and extermination. To confidentially discuss filing a claim with one of our Knoxville bed bug lawyers, contact Whitney, LLP online, or call our law offices at (410) 583-8000 for your free legal consultation. There are no out of pocket fees or expenses.