Hotels are required to provide guests with accommodations that are not dangerous or hazardous to human health. Part of this responsibility is ensuring that hotels remain free of bed bugs and other pests, and taking appropriate extermination measures when necessary. Hotels must also avoid booking guests into rooms which are known to contain infestations. If your room at a Renaissance Hotels brand hotel was infested by bed bugs, you may be entitled to compensation.
At the personal injury law firm of Whitney, LLP, we possess years of experience handling bed bug lawsuits against hotels, motels, resorts, and inns. Our comprehensive background in bed bug litigation gives us a unique perspective on the claims we handle, enabling our attorneys to deliver targeted, strategic representation designed to maximize your recovery. To set up a free legal consultation regarding a bed bug infestation at a Renaissance hotel, contact us online, or call Whitney, LLP today at (410) 583-8000.
Renaissance Hotel Locations
Renaissance Hotels is one of numerous Marriott International hotel brands. Marriott International, which ranks among the world’s largest hospitality companies with over 7,000 global properties, is currently headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland.
According to its official website, the Renaissance brand operates approximately 160 hotel facilities globally.
If you were bitten by bed bugs while staying at a Renaissance hotel in Maryland, contact Whitney, LLP for a legal consultation about your potential claim.
How to Find Bed Bugs in a Hotel
Bed bugs are partially transparent, though this may be difficult to discern due to their tiny size – typically no more than one quarter of an inch. They are silent, flightless insects that usually emerge at night to feed on victims’ blood as they sleep. Their most notable feature is their ability to radically change size and shape. Similar to ticks, bed bugs can expand dramatically while feeding on blood, becoming elongated and seed-shaped.
Are Bed Bug Bites Dangerous?
Bed bug bites generally cause small pink swellings that produce itching and skin irritation, with possible blistering. However, some people suffer from more severe reactions and health issues, which may include:
- Anaphylaxis – Anaphylaxis is an extreme allergic reaction triggered by proteins in bed bug saliva, to which some individuals are highly sensitive. Effects can include facial swelling, difficulty breathing, and shock. Anaphylaxis can even be fatal without rapid, effective treatment.
- Skin Infections – The wounds created by scratching bed bug bites are breeding grounds for bacteria that can cause skin infections, including cellulitis, impetigo, and ecthyma.
Bed bug bites can also cause deep scars, which may be tough or impossible to completely remove. Additionally, the exposure to bed bugs increases the risk of developing symptoms of insomnia, anxiety, or depression, particularly in cases where infestations are ongoing.
Checking Your Hotel Room for Bed Bugs
Hotel staff should disclose bed bug infestations and avoid booking guests into infested rooms. However, because hotels do not always meet these standards, it is wise for guests to be on alert and remain vigilant. As soon as you arrive, you should check your hotel room for signs of a bed bug infestation, which include:
- Visible bed bugs crawling on surfaces – typically walls, drapes, or beds
- Unpleasant odors caused by bed bug pheromones, often described as “sweet” or “musty”
- Small, dark stains on your bare mattress, caused by bed bug excrement or bed bugs being crushed
Can You Sue a Renaissance Hotel for Bed Bug Bites?
Unfortunately, hotels do not always meet appropriate standards for providing safe and pest-free guest accommodations. If a hotel company or employee acts negligently, or carelessly, they may be liable for resulting guest injuries related to bed bug infestations. Depending on factors like when and why you were injured, you may be able to file a lawsuit against Renaissance Hotels, Marriott International, hotel employees, and other parties. Several types of “damages” (compensation) may be available, including:
- Economic Damages – This refers to compensation for financial harm and out-of-pocket expenses, such as medical bills or the costs associated with property replacement.
- Noneconomic Damages – This refers to compensation for harm other than your out-of-pocket financial losses, such as pain and suffering or emotional anguish.
Renaissance Hotel Bed Bug Infestation Lawsuit Attorneys
There can be long-term repercussions to staying in a hotel room infested with bed bugs. Bed bug bites can trigger serious health issues – and if the infestation spreads to the guest’s home or apartment, there can be serious ongoing financial losses and property damage.
If you needed medical treatment or were forced to replace personal belongings after staying in an infested hotel room at any Renaissance Hotels in Maryland, talk to our bed bug attorneys about your legal options. For a legal consultation, contact Whitney, LLP online, or call our law offices at (410) 583-8000 today.