If you were bitten by bed bugs while staying at a Clarion Hotel in Maryland, ask the experienced hotel bed bug attorneys of Whitney, LLP about your family’s next steps. You may be able to file a personal injury claim against Clarion, individual employees of Clarion, its parent company Choice Hotels, or other parties whose negligence contributed to your injuries. Compensation may be recoverable for medical costs, property damage, and other losses you have incurred. Contact us online to set up a free legal consultation, or call Whitney, LLP at (410) 583-8000 to speak confidentially with a Clarion bed bug lawyer.
We represent clients in bed bug bite claims throughout Maryland including in Baltimore, Pasadena, Cockeysville, Owings Mills, Temple Hills, Marlow Heights, Middle River, Germantown, Silver Spring, Frederick, Waldorf, Laurel, Glen Burnie, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Ellicott City, Ocean City and Salisbury.
Clarion Hotel Locations
Clarion is one of more than a dozen hotel brands owned by Choice Hotels, which is one of the largest hospitality companies in the world. Bridging the gap between midscale and upscale, Clarion Hotel is a favorite choice for lodging among business travelers and vacationers alike.
There are numerous Clarion Hotel locations throughout the United States. Clarion locations include:
- Anaheim, California
- Erie, Pennsylvania
- Frederick, Maryland
- Houston, Texas
- New York, New York
- Orlando, Florida
- Princeton, New Jersey
- Savannah, South Carolina
How Do You Identify Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs can be hard to identify due to their small size, fast speed, and drab appearance. However, they have several features distinguishing them from other insects, such as the following:
- Bed bugs range from medium to dark brown, with juveniles (“nymphs”) appearing lighter in color.
- Bed bugs are round or oval when viewed from above, but flat when viewed from the side. Their shape changes after a blood feeding, which causes the body to swell and elongate until its shape more closely resembles that of a seed or cigar.
- Bed bugs are nocturnal, which means they are normally active at night.
- Unlike most other insects, bed bugs do not fly, hop, or make noise.
Be aware that bed bug bites may appear immediately, the following day, or several days after the actual feeding occurs. The bites may appear in straight lines or random clusters, and often become swollen and itchy, similar to a mosquito bite. While some people do not have any reaction, others develop skin infections from excessive scratching, or even experience anaphylaxis – a rapid, severe allergic reaction capable of causing death.
How Do I Know if My Hotel Room Has Bed Bugs?
Unfortunately, not all hotel guests receive the clean, quality lodging they are promised. Without thorough inspections, adequate pest control, and regular maintenance, hotel rooms can rapidly become infested by bed bugs – nocturnal, blood-sucking parasites that can cause serious health problems and destroy expensive personal property.
There are several ways to check for bed bugs in your hotel room. Before your trip even begins, you can check online resources like Bed Bug Reports, which allows users to search specific hotels for past infestations. Bed Bug Reports is currently more active than the Bed Bug Registry, a similar service which is no longer regularly updated.
Once you have arrived at the hotel, it’s important to remain vigilant, even if there were no previous infestation reports online. Here are a few more ways to check a hotel for bed bugs:
- Remove the bedding from your mattress and inspect all sides thoroughly. Bed bugs can leave dark, tiny stains, which are caused by both excrement and crushed bodies. Pay special attention to any seams or puckered areas along the sides of the mattress, where evidence of bed bugs can accumulate.
- Do a visual check of the walls and ceilings. Bed bugs are skilled, speedy crawlers, and there are numerous anecdotal reports of bed bugs dropping onto mattresses from ceilings above.
- Be aware of any odd odors in your room. Bed bugs can communicate with each other by secreting chemicals called “pheromones,” which have been described as smelling “musty,” “sweet,” or even smelling like certain foods. For instance, almonds and cilantro (coriander) are often mentioned.
Can You Sue Clarion Hotel for Bed Bug Bite Injuries?
The answer to this question depends on your unique circumstances, making it essential to consult with an attorney as soon as possible after your hotel stay. If you wait for too long, the pertinent statute of limitations may “expire” (run out of time), which means your claim will be barred, effectively preventing you from recovering compensation.
Generally speaking, plaintiffs must prove that hotel management, cleaning staff, or other parties caused their injuries by acting negligently, or failing to meet accepted standards. For instance, negligent property maintenance often plays a significant role in allowing infestations to take over.
Clarion Hotel Bed Bug Infestation Attorneys
No one should have to endure the experience of a bed bug infestation – especially not when they are paying guests at a reputable national hotel brand. If your room at Clarion Hotel was infested by bed bugs, you need an aggressive and dedicated attorney who is prepared to fight hard on your behalf. To talk about filing a bed bug injury claim against Clarion or other hotel brands owned by Choice Hotels, call Whitney, LLP at (410) 583-8000 for a legal consultation, or contact our law offices online today.
We represent clients injured by bed bugs across Maryland including Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, Baltimore County, Baltimore City, Anne Arundel County, Howard County, Carroll County, Charles County and Worcester County.