Top 10 Hotel Bed Bug Claim and Lawsuit Defenses
Whitney, LLP’s lawyers have successfully sued hotels on behalf of guests suffering bed bug bite injuries across the country. Hotels sued for bed bug bites often deny liability and thereby require the victim to hire a lawyer to seek a fair compensation. While hotel defense lawyers justifiably demand to see proof of a bed bug infestation and bed bug bites, both the hotel client, and at times the lawyer, will raise defenses which can only be characterized as ridiculous.
We tried to keep our list to ten, but could not resist going further once we started recollecting some of the more surprising reasons offered by hotels attempting to evade responsibility.
- The hotel is not responsible for an Act of Mother Nature.
- The guest (who received 100 bites in one night) must have brought the bed bugs.
- The bed bugs (as verified by an entomologist) were “roaches.”
- The guest (who was diagnosed by a dermatologist with bed bug bites) did not have bed bug bites.
- The guest was negligent for booking a room at the hotel.
- The guest assumed the risk by choosing that national brand hotel.
- The hotel bears the brand name, but the brand is not responsible.
- The standard of care does not require trained housekeepers to perform visual bed bug inspections.
- “I didn’t know that bed bugs fed on blood.”
- The hotel has no record of prior incidents (yet the hotel does not keep records of bed bug incidents).
- The room, where an “active colony” of bed bugs was detected by an operations manager, was not considered “infested” because only the bed was involved.
- The hotel “takes bed bugs seriously,” yet has no written bed bug policy.
- Bed bugs are a myth.
Response to Bed Bug Defenses
These mildly entertaining “defenses” often only serve to increase the value of the case. While we look forward to responding to these defenses in front of a jury; often at the end of the case, reason prevails and the matter is resolved for a fair sum once a senior insurance claims manager or hotel executive realizes the downside to a ridiculous defense.
How to Find Bed Bug Bite Injury Attorneys
Ridiculous defenses by the attorney hired by the hotel have not stopped Whitney, LLP from recovering millions of dollars for our clients in bed bug cases across the United States. We have represented hundreds of individuals who checked into a hotel and were badly bitten by bed bugs. Due to our willingness to file lawsuits in bed bug cases to recover maximum compensation, Whitney, LLP has become known across the country as a resource for both consumers who have been bitten in infested hotels, and for other attorneys to refer their cases to. We offer legal consultations, and our clients in bed bug bite injury claims and cases pay no out of pocket attorney’s fees. Contact Us Now for a Legal Consultation at 410 583 8000, or use our Quick Contact Form.