Please feel free to browse our library of geographic legal resources for more information about bed bug bites, laboratory malpractice and test errors, hotel and landlord liability and personal injury claims. Be sure to check back in for updates as our library grows. Call us with any questions.
To schedule a free and private case evaluation with the experienced bed bug litigation attorneys of Whitney, LLP, call our law offices today at (410) 583-8000 or contact us online.
Hotel Resource Pages
Bed bug infestations are alarmingly common in hotels and motels across the United States, ranging from high-end luxury suites to no-frills budget lodging. No matter where your journey takes you, injuries and property damage caused by bed bugs is always a risk for hotel guests.
With corporate headquarters in Maryland, Choice Hotels operates more than 6,000 hotels and motels in states throughout the U.S. If you were bitten by bed bugs while staying a hotel reserved through Choice Hotels, you may be able to file a lawsuit in Maryland regardless of where your hotel was located.
If you were injured or suffered a financial loss arising from property damage after staying at a Days Inn hotel room infested by bed bugs, you may be able to claim compensation. Because Days Inn’s parent company is based in New Jersey, it may be possible to file a lawsuit in New Jersey.
In addition to their signature line of hotels, the Holiday Inn franchise also operates additional brands such as Holiday Inn Express and Holiday Inn Resorts. Our attorneys may be able to help you recover compensation if you suffered from bed bug bite injuries or property damage after staying at an infested Holiday Inn.
Marriott hotel brands include Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Ritz-Carlton, Renaissance Hotels, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, and TownePlace Suites. All Marriott hotels must provide guests with safe and sanitary rooms which are free of bed bugs, or may be held liable for resulting bite injuries and property damage.
In the U.S., the Ritz-Carlton franchise includes 40 hotels across 14 states and Washington D.C. Because Ritz-Carlton has corporate headquarters in Chevy Chase, MD, legal claims stemming from personal injury and property damage may be brought in the state of Maryland.
Super 8 is owned by New Jersey-based Wyndham Worldwide Corporation. This means bed bug bite victims can potentially file claims in New Jersey, even if the Super 8 was located in another state.
The Wyndham brand includes many popular hotels and resorts, including Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8, Howard Johnson, and Travelodge. Because Wyndham’s parent company is based in New Jersey, plaintiffs may be able to file claims in New Jersey regardless of where the Wyndham visit occurred.
Maryland Information by County
Anne Arundel County is home to more than 500,000 residents, many of whom live in the city of Annapolis. Unfortunately, in addition to its human inhabitants, Anne Arundel County is also home to a large population of bed bugs.
Bed bugs are alive and well in Baltimore County, and are causing misery to hundreds if not thousands of renters and tenants every day. The U.S. Census reports that nearly 28% of Baltimore County’s residential structures consist of multiple units, which means about one third of the county’s population is at an elevated risk.
Tenants of Baltimore apartments, including Section 8, or HUD properties, and other types of rental properties, are often stuck for weeks or months in an infested apartment while pest control treatments are delayed. Oftentimes landlords refuse to provide treatment, or tell their tenants that renters are responsible for handling extermination. However, Baltimore City has addressed responsibility for bed bug extermination in its local laws.
Bed bug extermination treatments are often expensive. Often times tenants are told by their landlord that they, the tenants, are responsible for paying for the treatment. However, in Carroll County, responsibility for extermination is determined by law, and not by the landlord.
Harford County is home to around 250,000 residents. A significant portion of those residents are renters. Determining whether the landlord or tenant is responsible for a bed bug infestation in Harford County requires reviewing the Harford County Code, but bed bugs also destroy property, infest and ruin valuable furniture, and can make your home or apartment unlivable.
Howard County adopts the 2006 version of the International Property Maintenance Code for matters regarding infestation. Their Code of Ordinances provides a few amendments and omissions. In Howard County, the owner of a rental property is responsible for exterminating the structure. Howard County has no distinction between single-unit or multi-unit structures. In 2012 Howard County had 27,556 renters of apartments.
In Montgomery County, an occupant of a single dwelling unit must exterminate any insects, rodents, or other vermin in or on the premise. However, in a multi-unit building, the occupant of a unit must exterminate if that unit is the only one infested. The cases where the owner must exterminate include: infestations is in more than one unit or a shared/common area of a dwelling; or if the infestation was caused by the owner’s failure to maintain the dwelling in a rat-proof or reasonably insect-proof condition. In 2012 Montgomery County had 115,621 renter occupied apartments.
Prince George’s County in Maryland was home to more than 890,000 residents as of 2013. According to data taken from the U.S. Census, approximately 113,000 of those residents are renters. In fact, nearly one third (32.5%) of all housing in Prince George’s County consists of multi-unit structures, compared to the Maryland state average of just 25.5%.
Renting your furniture can be a convenient and affordable financial option. Unfortunately, rental products also carry a serious health concern: bed bug infestations. Each time a rental product passes from one temporary owner to the next, the risk of infestation increases. Since bed bugs are tiny and difficult to detect, and because renters cannot be certain of where the rental product has been in the past, it is easy for unknowing consumers to accidentally bring these unwanted guests into their homes.
Bed bugs are well-known for their ability to hitch-hike from location to location. When a consumer unknowingly leases bug-infested furniture or appliances from a furniture rental company like Aaron’s or Rent-A-Center, it’s only a matter of time before the bed bugs begin to breed and proliferate, leading to major infestation in months or even weeks.
Termite Damage Resources
- Lawyer to Sue a Home Inspector for Termites in Baltimore
- Lawyer to Sue a Home Inspector for Termites in Maryland
- My Seller’s House Inspector Missed or Withheld Termite Damage or Termites
Car Accident Resources
- Bethesda Car Accident Lawyer
- Elliot City Car Accident Lawyer
- Frederick City Car Accident Lawyer
- Gaithersburg Car Accident Lawyer
- Rockville Car Accident Lawyer
- Silver Spring Car Accident Lawyer
Medical Laboratory Testing
- Anne Arundel Diagnostics Imaging Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Anne Arundel Medical Center Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Annapath Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Bethesda Dermatopathology Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Attorney for Lab or Clinical HIV Misdiagnosis
- Bio-Reference Laboratories Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Citrano Medical Laboratories Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Chesapeake Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Maryland Laboratories Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Constant Care Medical Lab Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Dorsey Hall Medical Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Everest Medical Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- FMH Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Hagerstown Medical Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Johns Hopkins Medical Laboratories Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Kaiser Permanente Regional Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- LabCorp Testing Error and Diagnostic Attorney
- Macrogen Clinical Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Meritus Medical Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Medstar St. Mary’s Hospital Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Park Medical Laboratories Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Patriot Medical Laboratories Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- SMA Medical Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- University of Maryland Shore Medical Center Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Quest Diagnostics Testing and Diagnostics Error Attorney
- Westminster Medical Lab Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney
- Woodbrook Laboratory Testing and Diagnostic Error Attorney